A few years ago I wanted to buy an iPad but it was a couple hundred dollars and my parents would pay for half of it which meant I had to save up at least $400.  At that time I also wanted to buy a phone because I didn't have one but that was $500 and my parents wouldn't help me with that because they didn't want me having a phone yet. I went and did a bunch of work for family friends and just kept saving up my money to see how long it would take me to save up for either of them and after a few months I finally just got the iPad so I could get the help from my parents.
      I had to use opportunity cost in that situation without even realizing it at the time, if I got the iPad then I'd have to use my money for that and if I wanted to get the phone I wouldn't be able to get the iPad but I finally decided on the iPad because it would be easier to save up for because it was $100 less. I also chose the iPad because if I would have gotten the phone then I would have to pay monthly for it to work so it wouldn't have only cost me the $500 but also probably about $40 or $50 each month after that. The iPad I only had to save up $400 and then my parents would take care of the rest so thats what I went with. 
      When working for my iPad I would do a lot of yard work for some family friends and they all knew my goal with the iPad so they would all help me out a lot with it and just kept finding things for me to do around there house. I was still working for my goal during the fiddle festival one summer and so I would sell lemonade outside of my moms gas station and I only had to sell it a couple days because it was very hot outside and Weiser was really busy with the carnival so I ended up making almost $100 a day and made it to my goal a lot quicker then I had planned. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog 3 Elasticity and Utility